Saturday, February 16, 2008

HOLY SHIT!

Ok so I'm at day 6 with the Barley Wine and I decided to transfer to the secondary fermenter. Since I over pitched the yeast I thought it would be good to do so right away to get the beer away form the large amount of trub. Plus there was little activity (1 bubble every 15-25 seconds) in the airlock so I figured it was time. Before transferring I took a gravity reading and all I can say is WOW! I started with 1.116 SG and the reading today was 1.021 SG which may seem high, but not for a barley wine. According to my calculations there is somewhere around 12.75% ABV which means I achieved about 80% apparent attenuation. I also tasted my sample and I have to say that I am VERY pleased with the turn out so far. The hops flavor was very nice good bitterness and a great floral aroma with the spicy and citrus hints that Simcoe and Centennial are famous for. Though it was not as malty as I thought it would be for such a high final gravity, it still had a great malt background and balanced the hops nicely. I know that barley wines usually need at least a couple months of bottle conditioning to be really good, but if this was carbonated I wouldn't hesitate to drink it now. I can't wait till this is ready to drink, it's only gonna get better with age. I am definitely putting at least a sixer away for around 6 months to age.

No comments: