Tuesday, February 26, 2008

DIY Stir Plate

I have been trying to find ways of improving my brewing process and I want to put as little money into it as possible. This entails me doing things like making things myself instead of buying them which is cool because I love to make stuff. So I thought that a magnetic stir plate for my yeast starters would be a good and inexpensive way to start refining my brewing process. For those of you who aren't familiar with magnetic stir plates they are just an electrical device that uses magnets on a rotary motor and a magnetic bar in the liquid you are stirring. The magnets on the motor rotate the bar and thus stir the liquid. This is helpful in a yeast starter because it keeps the yeast cells remain suspended and in constant contact with consumable sugars, and it also helps to expel the carbon dioxide from the liquid which inhibits the yeast growth. Anyway they are fairly simple contraptions and I decided to make my own instead of spending $100+ on a manufactured one. This is a pretty common home brew DIY project, I think most home brewers who use one probably made it themselves as opposed to buying one. I borrowed from plans I found at http://brewiki.org/StirPlate and also http://davidtrumbell.com/Beer/Setup/StirPlate/StirPlate.html .

Here is a video of it in action. Keep checking back for a parts list and pictures.

No comments: