Monday, March 2, 2009

Oh man. . . . has it really been over a year since I've brewed? It looks that way, but I have all my ducks in a row now and hopefully it won't be another year. So I went to the brew shop yesterday and didn't have recipe in mind (was kind of shooting for an IPA) so I just kind of winged it. I ended up with what's going to be an Old Ale. Here's the ingredients and boil times.

Amount Item Type % or IBU
5 lbs Amber Liquid Extract (12.5 SRM) Extract 48.78 %
4 lbs Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 39.02 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 4.88 %
8.0 oz Belgian Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 4.88 %
4.0 oz Caramunich Malt (56.0 SRM) Grain 2.44 %
1.00 oz Nugget [13.00 %] (60 min) Hops 25.4 IBU
1.00 oz Nugget [13.00 %] (45 min) Hops 23.3 IBU
1.00 oz Williamette [5.50 %] (15 min) Hops 5.9 IBU
1.00 oz Williamette [5.50 %] (5 min) Hops 2.4 IBU
5.00 gal Portland OR Water
1 Pkgs SafAle American Ale (DCL Yeast #S-05) Yeast-Ale


I also made a 500ml yeast starter with 2 ounces of the LME mixture and left on stir plate over night. I put starter in fridge at beginning of brew day to allow yeast to drop out. After the yeast dropped out I ended up with almost no wort to decant off and almost all yeast. I also finally got an immersion chiller so it's going to make brew day so much easier. Last night I boiled the chiller in about 3/4 of a gallon of vinegar and 3 gallons of water to clean and test it and it worked great. My water is very cold and it chilled the vinegar and water to pitching temp in about 15 minutes.

My brew day started off with a minor glitch, as I was putting the grains in the grain bag (which I was holding over the brew pot) I dropped one side of it and all the grain went straight into the sparge water. So I just poured it through a sieve into another pot and then back into the brew pot after it was done sparging.

After chilling I poured wort through a sieve and into the fermenter and added water which I let sit out over night with a sanitized paper towel over it to dechlorinate. I brought it to 5 gallons, pitched the yeast and put it in my brew closet.

I will be posting updates so keep checking back

No comments: